Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Doggy Evenings

After a busy day (several of them, in fact), I can think of a million and one things I should have been doing tonight. Like packing for our move to Sussex County in August. Or laundry. Or packing for my upcoming weekend away to Omega. Or giving the place a good cleaning for this weekend's open house. I could have used a good nap too. I'm utterly exhausted.

Instead I spent the evening reading. No, not Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Just a couple more days til I get my hands on that one.

A couple days ago, I finished the J. A. P. Chronicles, a funny 'chick lit' read. As I was packing books and looking for another read yesterday, I found The Dogs of Babel, a book I acquired a year ago at a library book sale. So I began reading last evening and finished tonight.

A great novel, though bittersweet and sad. A linguist loses his wife--she falls out of a tree in their backyard. There is only one witness--their dog. The story follows the grieving husband as he attempts to teach this dog language so the dog can tell the story of what happened. While our main character is trying to solve the mystery of his wife's death, he also tells the story of how they met and fell in love. Anyone read this one? I really enjoyed it though it was a sad read.

I found out it's coming out as a movie in 2009.

1 comment:

Nicki said...

I need to read more often. Or stop buying so many books.