Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Thirty Things Every Woman Should Know by Age 30

Today, while waiting for the doc, I was perusing my newest Glamour magazine when I came across this blurb: Thirty Things Every Woman Should Know by Age 30. The magazine directed me to the website for the full 30. I like this--when a couple of my friends turned thirty recently, I came up with a couple of my own "30" lists. But this is a good one. Glamour contributor, Pamela Redmond Satran came up with the list. So here it is.

By 30, you should have:


1

One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come. (Well, needless to say, I can't imagine going back to any of my former boyfriends. But, yes, I have come a long way. Anybody who has known me through my relationships knows that! I finally found a good one!)

2

A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family. (Yeah. Couches and a queen sized bed bought brand new. In storage.)

3

Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.

(I have some decent things to wear. Like the perfect green goddess dress for a daytime wedding.)

4

A purse, a suitcase and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying. (I think I need new luggage. My last set of "real" luggage I got when I graduated high school at 17. Though I have an overnight bag thats okay.)

5

A youth you’re content to move beyond. (Yeah. Been there, done that. Had fun, but things are good now!)

6

A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age. (Why wait that long to retell?)

7

The realization that you are actually going to have an old age—and some money set aside to help fund it. (Gotta work on the retirement fund.)

8

An e-mail address, a voice mailbox and a bank account—all of which nobody has access to but you.

9

A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded.

10

One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry. (I'm lucky in the friend department.)

11

A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill and a black lace bra.

12

Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it.

13

The belief that you deserve it.

14

A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30. (Well, I use Mary Kay and I go to the gym. I even floss now!)

15

A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship and all those other facets of life that do get better. (I have a job I love--and tenure--and a great guy too!)

By 30, you should know:


1

How to fall in love without losing yourself. (I'm certainly better at this now than I was at 18. Thats for sure! I'm deliriously happy in love but have my own life too!)

2

How you feel about having kids. (This hasn't changed since I was 18. I still want 'em! And at least 2.)

3

How to quit a job, break up with a man and confront a friend without ruining the friendship. (Last year, I had to break up with someone for the first time--and I did it twice (with two different guys)! I found it strangely liberating!)

4

When to try harder and when to walk away.

5

How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next.

6

The names of: the secretary of state, your great-grandmother and the best tailor in town. (Ummm...gotta work on this one!)

7

How to live alone, even if you don’t like to.

8

How to take control of your own birthday. (I'm good at this one--I love celebrating my birthday!)

9

That you can’t change the length of your calves, the width of your hips or the nature of your parents. (I'm happy with me! Usually!)

10

That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over. (You take the good...you take the bad...you take them both...and there you have the facts of life!)

11

What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love.

12

That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs or not flossing for very long. (Yeah, falling down drunk is not as cute in your later twenties as it was when you were 18. Thats for sure!)

13

Who you can trust, who you can’t and why you shouldn’t take it personally.

14

Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault. (I have to work on this one. A certain somebody who shall remain nameless tells me I apologize too much for things that have nothing to do with me!)

15

Why they say life begins at 30. (I'm two years from being 30. But in may ways, life is better for me now than it ever was. I look better now than I did at say, twenty-one. I'm in a wonderful relationship with a great guy and I'm settled in a career I love. I've got friends and family who are supportive. Things are good.)

1 comment:

Jesser said...

This is intresting ... I think I'm almost there. ;)